Thursday, February 5, 2009

Fantasy Baseball: It's the Tits


There are very few things about sports that I look forward to more avidly, await with the patience of a five year old that has to pee and prepare for more feverishly than each year's fantasy baseball draft. After the fantasy football season ends, there is a long hibernation for fine tuned fantasy athletes like myself. Fantasy hockey, basketball and no, not even golf can quench my appetite for fantasy dominance during the winter months. With fantasy baseball comes the promise of warmer weather, vacations and a long season of fantasy intensity. Hence, I argue that fantasy baseball is the finest of all the fantasy sports.

Having just re-activated my fantasy baseball league on ESPN.com, I e-mailed my fellow league members about the arrival of the new season. Since then, there has already been a beehive of activity and comments surrounding the upcoming season. People look to the arrival of fantasy baseball season, as well as the actual baseball season, as a beacon of hope during these dreary winter months. Baseball promises warm weather, being outside, hot dogs and beers. While fantasy football is also a great game, its arrival can not bring these tidings with it.

Moreover, fantasy baseball has with it a great power. The power to make any baseball game interesting, so long as you have a fantasy player in the game. I couldn't have cared less about the opening day game last year between the Braves and Nats, but I'll be damned if I didn't jump out of my seat when Ryan Zimmerman, previously 0-3, sent that final pitch of the game over the wall for a home run. Football has the luxury of already being great to watch, and so many fewer games. Fantasy impact is important, but I'd venture to say that I could much more easily watch a Raiders-Browns game than a Royals-Mariners series if no fantasy players were involved.

Finally, fantasy baseball has the ability to take over the milieu of everyday life. Unlike fantasy football, it is a constant process. Sure you can set your rosters once a week, but there is no fun in that. And what if a player gets injured, or benched, or skips a day in the rotation? Then you are screwed. You have to stay vigilant with baseball, unlike football where you are setting on Friday, paying attention during the weekend, then checking again on Tuesday. Fantasy baseball is a daily event.

Fantasy football, like Brandy, is a fine girl (sport), but fantasy baseball is the King of all things fantasy. Nothing else has quite the power to consume my daily life, make an otherwise boring game interesting, and promise such good things. The only question is, who is your first pick?

8 comments: