Wednesday, March 18, 2009

50th Post Extravaganza!!!!!!


It's hard to believe, but my blog that started with a man and a dream only a few months ago has now reached its 50th post. We have learned a lot about each other since January, and I look forward to learning even more in the future. Let us now take time to reflect on just what we've discovered in 50 blog entries.

We have learned that Gordon Bombay is the undisputed "Best coach ever" and will be referred to as such from now on. Whenever we talk about pro, college or even pee-wee coaches, we will have to see how they measure up to the Bombay standard before we can really make any judgements about them.

In baseball we learned that Candy Maldonado has the best baseball name ever. Candy is currently working for ESPN Deportes and declined to comment on the distinction (probably). However, Candy's 146 career homeruns and .254 lifetime batting average will always ring true in the halls of TPLIYP, even if he is from Puerto Rico. We also, learned that people do not trust Albert Pujols. Despite a recent Sports Illustrated cover (curse) in which Albert said that people can trust him, blog readers think that he is juicing. Albert will be referred to on this blog as "The Next One".

Perhaps my most groundbreaking theory is that the highest paid teams in each sport rarely ever win the championship these days. I look for this trend to continue for the foreseeable future. Money just makes things so nasty sometimes that it is hard to get over as a team. I also proposed that A-Rod is a curse, though all we could come up with was the "Lightning Rod". We will work with it. I am also working on a doozy of a theory about baseball teams with a lot of Latino players on them. It needs some more research though, so stay tuned!

Here are some other quick tidbits that we have covered:

-Kids sports these days are a joke
-Placido Polanco has a huge head
-John Daly is a revolting blob, but I would party with him fo sho
-ESPN commentators are all pretty much assholes, along with Curt Schilling and Eric Mangini
-Starbury is a huge distraction: Celtics have gone 4-5 since he signed with them. Not all on him, but I'm just saying
-Alex Ovechkin is the future of the NHL
-Jack Edwards is the man (still waiting on that autographed picture Jacky)
-Old facemasks are cool, Greg Lloyd's plastic cage was the coolest
-Detroit is going to suck because they didn't hire a black coach
-People that skip college for the pros are lame
-The Braves will not be good this year
-Fantasy baseball is awesome: DRAFT THIS WEEKEND
-MLB Network is awesome
-The Schellinator is a legend

Now with all that nostalgia out of the way, I would be remiss if I did not mention a couple things. The first being last night's WBC game. WOW. That's all I have to say. With my prediction, my name as a writer, and possibly my pride as an American hanging in the balance, Team USA delivered a 3 run 9th inning to stick it to that fleck of land in the Caribbean. I watched the whole game and I am very glad I did. Throughout the game I kept noticing how many US players had dirty uniforms. I saw this as a good sign, they were all working hard and I thought it would pay off for them at some point. Then the 9th inning happened and it was super sweet. The other interesting dynamic I noted in this game was how old rivalries were forgotten. If you look at the picture at the top of this post, you will see Kevin Youkilis, Derek Jeter, David Wright and Shane Victorino celebrating. Youk's "Thriller" shuffle aside, this picture never looked so right before. If this were the regular season this would make any Mets, Phillies, Yankees or Red Sox fan sick. But the WBC makes it all gravy. In the final innings of the game, I found myself rooting against Phillies reliever J.C. Romero and for Mets 3B David Wright. Crazy. My colleague Jeff Woglom also found it very strange that the roles of good and evil had shifted as such. I did find enough time to hate Carlos Delgado and Carlos Beltran even more though, so that was good. But, the WBC has certainly made for some strange alliances. I for one can't get enough of it. Great stuff.

The only other thing I wanted to do was to throw out my picks for tomorrow's NCAA Tourney games. I found this year's tournament extremely tough to forecast. So many teams that could make a lot of noise, or get upset in the first round. It seems like any team could lose at any time. No real favorite. Very unsettling. Here are my fearless picks for Thursday:

UConn over Chattanooga

Butler over LSU

Memphis over CS Northridge

Texas A&M over BYU

Purdue over Northern Iowa

UNC over Radford

Cal over Maryland

Washington over Mississippi State

Texas over Minnesota

Clemson over Michigan

Nova over American

Zags over Akron

Duke over Binghamton

OU over Morgan St.

VCU over UCLA

Western Kentucky over Illinois


As always, thanks for reading and let's hear some chatter in the comments section.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it to 50, TPLIYP. You have beaten notable names such as:

    James Dean
    Chris Farley
    John Belushi
    Diana, Princess of Wales
    Marilyn Monroe
    JFK, Jr.
    Anna Nicole Smith
    Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Jesus

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnny Ray,
    South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Butt's got a fat a-hole.
    Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television,
    North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe.
    Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar raid, Pad-moom-jon,
    Brandoke, "The King and I" and "The Catcher in the Rye."
    Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new Queen,
    Marshiano, Liberachi, satire on a dirt bike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Will, on reaching your Golden Anniversary. Last night's game was awesome, I wish they would've scored in the inning where the Flyin Hawaiian clearly leaned into that throw from center. That was great and would've sparked a lot of controversy.

    The best part of last night is I gloated to a Puerto Rican co-worker, and it wasn't even racist! They need to be taken down a peg anyway, what with their flags in the rear view mirror and their make-out parties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For your golden anniversary, the Schellinator will grant you a golden shower. I like your description of Puerto Rico as a fleck, from now on the country should be known as "America's Dingleberry".

    ReplyDelete