Monday, June 8, 2009

This Guy's Gotta Go


We have all put up with him for way too long. Joe Morgan has simply become unbearable to listen to on ESPN baseball games. I think we all need to sign a petition asking for Joe Morgan's resignation and send it to ESPN. Who's with me?

I was all set to watch the Phillies/Dodgers series finale last night when I noticed that the lineup of announcers was Joe Morgan, Steve Phillips and Dave O'Brien. Immediately, I knew this was a bad thing. Without Jon Miller, I knew I was in for it. Usually Joe Morgan will blabber on about himself, telling stories about how he hit the home run in Yankees Stadium in the All-Star Game, until Miller wisely cuts him off with a joke, a good fact, or a "Bel-TRAN!!!" if the Mets are playing. No one cut him off last night.

Last night Joe Morgan must have bragged about his accomplishments at least 5 times each inning. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when he started listing off all of the sporting events that he has been too in his life, then made Steve Phillips and Dave O'Brien list theirs to show how paltry they were in comparison. Joe Morgan simply does not care about the game that is being played. All he wants to do is talk about himself for 3 to 4 hours. Last night he mentioned a 16 inning game he called one time. I can't imagine sitting through that one. I probably would have gotten a nose bleed and then passed out.

ESPN has got to do us all a favor and get rid of Joe Morgan. I guarantee that they are losing viewers because of him. If you don't believe me, watch a game on ESPN and try to count how many times Morgan says "I think", "In my opinion", "When I was playing" etc. The number will be astronomical. Better yet, turn it into a drinking game. You will be wasted by about the top of the 3rd inning.

No comments:

Post a Comment