Monday, August 10, 2009

Boston Massacre: Redux


Is it 2006? Because I have the strangest feeling of Deja vu. The Yankees 4 game sweep of the Red Sox this weekend hearkened back to the magical summer before senior year at Lehigh when the Yanks did the exact same thing. It was injuries that again spelled doom for Boston, and unfortunately I'm afraid that they will suffer the same fate of missing the playoffs this year.

They say that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Apparently the Red Sox learned nothing from the 4 game sweep at the hands of the Yanks 3 years ago. I'll never forget that wonderful summer. Me and the Donk were living off campus, taking pills with Schwab because we were in pain, and puking in the middle of Main street before Musikfest (that was just me). I remember betting the Donk a six pack of icy cold Bohemia style beer that the Sox would take the series 3-1. He countered that the Yankees would sweep. He was a wiser man than me that weekend. However, I am the real winner because I never bought him the beer.

That weekend in 2006, the Sox were reeling from the injury to catcher, captain, and then good player Jason Varitek. Their pitching and hitting both suffered immensely. This weekend was no different. Injuries to Jason Bay, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Tim Wakefield had taken a toll on the entire roster and the Sox could not compete with the surging Yankees. A-Rod's 15th inning A-Bomb pretty much sealed the sweep in my mind after only two games.

Much like 2006, I now think the Sox have squandered any chance they had to make the playoffs. With the bats not cooking, they can no longer expect to win when trotting out pitchers like Clay Buttholes, recently sent down John Smoltz, Paul Byrd, Junichi Tazawa, Fernando Cabrera or whoever their 5th starter is. They couldn't even win with Lester and Beckett pitching lights out this weekend. The Sox have been on a real down turn since the All-Star break, and I only see it getting worse with the competition they have remaining.

While the future does not bode well for the Sox, it doesn't necessarily mean great things for the Yankees. They had all the momentum in the world going into the playoffs in 2006, but lost to the Tigers in the first round. Yes sir, if history tells us anything, then this is the year for the National League. Glenn might want to get his Beuchel jersey out, or I my Hamels or Stairs jersey. Then again, the sweep of the Sox could provide just the opportunity that those pesky Rays needed to take the AL by storm and win the World Series. Who knows? My hat's off to the Yankees though for snapping the neck of the injured fawn that was the Red Sox. Sorry, Dill.

1 comment:

  1. That was also the summer Schwab passed out on east fifth and slept there until the sun came up.

    I never did get that sixer. Nor did I ever get my jersey for winning fantasy baseball the first year we played.

    Great post. Looking forward to the preview of the PGA.

    ReplyDelete