Wednesday, August 12, 2009

PGA Championship Preview

After teasing us with three wins right before the last three majors, this time will be no tease. Mark my words, Tiger Woods will win the PGA Championship this weekend at Hazeltine National Golf Club. He has won back to back tournaments coming into the final major of the year and looks to be at the top of his game. It just wouldn't seem right if a year passed without a Tiger Woods major championship.

Hazeltine National is similar to Turnberry in that the fairways are fairly narrow, but the course itself is about 700 yards longer and has much smaller greens. Winning at Hazeltine will require precision from tee to green. The total package. A few weeks ago I would have said Tiger has no chance, but now he appears to be dissecting golf courses with laser precision. Based on how he has played the past few weeks, I don't see anyone beating Tiger this week. I have said this before each major already, but this time I am giving you a guarantee. As always though, I will throw out some other names that I think will do well this weekend.

Hunter Mahan- Mahan has 6 top tens this year and usually drives the ball pretty far, with pretty good accuracy. He is also among the best in hitting greens in regulation on the PGA Tour. This kid will win a major someday.

Padraig Harrington- Paddy finally showed some signs of life last week and looks like he might be ready to defend his PGA Championship.

Angel Cabrera
- The Master's Champ always seems to be in the running for majors.

David Toms
- A blast from the past here. The former PGA Champ drives the ball very accurately and can hit greens. Plus it would be sweet to see "Major Toms" as the headline on sports websites again.


These are some guys who might stand a chance this weekend, but as I said this tournament is going to be Tiger's. He is too much of a competitor to go 0 fer on majors in a year. I gotta run though, I have a tee time in 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment