Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Take A Deep Breath

Children, the day of reckoning is upon us. Pioneers, O pioneers. Just kidding, I like that commercial though. The World Series begins tonight and now that I am finally done studying and taking the GRE, I can bring John Q. Reader a full preview of the Fall Classic. This World Series is rare in that I believe that the best teams in each league are involved. With the Wild Card in place, often there are teams that just get hot down the stretch and streak to the World Series. This year is different. That being said, I don't think that this series will be a nail biter or a 7 gamer. Needless to say, there will be quite a bit of power on display, and I think that one team will simply over match the other. I could really see it going either way in 5 games, but for the sake of my hometown, and all of my hypotheses that I have handed down over the past year or so, I will say that the Phillies take the World Series in 5 games. Now for the fun part: position by position analysis.


CATCHER: During the regular season, I would say Jorge Posada has the advantage in a heartbeat. However, Senor Octubre is coming on strong in the postseason. Chooch plays better defense and has a better arm than Posada. Moreover, Posada is being bitched out by one of the Flying Molinas whenever A.J. Burnett pitches. I will still give the nod to Jorge, but not by much.

ADV: Yankees



FIRST BASE: During the regular season, I would most likely give this a PUSH. Teixeira is a bit better of a glove man, while Howard is a bit better of a slugger. In the postseason so far though, I gotta give it to Howie. Teixeira's hitting hasn't been there, while Howard has had an RBI in all but one game for the Phils.

ADV: Phillies



SECOND BASE: Dear Chase, I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you someday. It would be great to have a catch. I know I can't throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed with my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Did you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have not been getting my letters, because I know you would write back if you did. And I hope you write back this time, and we get to be good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real home run.

ADV: Phillies



SHORTSTOP: Simply put, Jetuh's Awesome! Though Rollins is very good, and might have a step on Jeter defensively, there is no way I could even call this a push.

ADV: Yankees



THIRD BASE: Pedro? Nope. I think it's pretty clear who wins this matchup.

ADV: Yankees



LEFT FIELD: Johnny Damon loses major points for having the weakest arm in all of baseball. I'm not just talking about Major League Baseball. I'm talking about the whole game of baseball. Moreover, Raul Ibanez is a better hitter as well. The only area Damon wins is speed.

ADV: Phillies



CENTER FIELD: I'm gonna put the Melk Man and Shane Victorino at a push offensively. But in terms of speed and defense, Victorino has got the edge.

ADV: Phillies



RIGHT FIELD: Jayson Werth is better than Nick Swisher both offensively and defensively. I also see him dropping bombs in Yankee Stadium

ADV: Phillies



DH: I'll give the Yankees the edge here since they actually have a DH in Matsui. However, I will also mention than not having Matsui in games 3-5 is going to create a hole in the order and be a great disadvantage for the Yanks. Also, I can't wait to see this man DH in Yankee Stadium. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

ADV: Yankees



STARTING PITCHING: I'd put CC and Clifford the Big Red Dog as a push. After that though, I would give the Yankees a slight edge in the rotation. Burnett and Pettitte are a bit more formidable than Pedro and Cole Hamels these days. If Cole can somehow summon his 2008 playoff form though, watch out.

ADV: Yankees



BULLPEN: Wow, where to start. I'd say that the Phillies middle relief and set up men are better than the Yankees. Chan Ho Park has been simply amazing. Madson is starting to rear back and fire the ball again. Scott Eyre continues to dumbfound me with his ability to get hitters out. Meanwhile, Phil Hughes, Joba Rules et al. have been less than impressive. Then we get to the closer. Mariano is the best closer of all time. Even though Lidge has been solid in the playoffs, he can not stack up to Mariano. It will take an entire bullpen against these great hitting lineups though, so I will give the nod to the Phils in the slightest of margins.

ADV: Phillies



In the final tally, the Phillies win by one category. Very close. How these players match up against each other may not be as important as the parks they play in though. I really see the Phillies having a huge advantage with the short left field porch in Yankee Stadium. With three powerful lefties, the ball could be flying out of there. Not to mention Jayson Werth's affinity for the opposite field blast, and the possibility of a Matt Stairs DH situation. Throw in the Yankees big boppers, and this has all the makings of a straight slugfest. A real slobberknocker. As I said before, I don't see this series going that deep. I see one team winning convincingly, and it could very easily be either team. As has been the case in their past 5 series though, I like the Phils to lose one game but win the series.

P.S. Look for me and Ryan Firkser on the news on Saturday night. I portend bad things.

8 comments:

  1. Brad Lidge will finish this series with a higher ERA than he had in the regular season. Yanks in 6. Party at Stan's afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Phillies in 6. Yankees can't deal with Cliff Lee throwing gas, he's just a regular ol' purple-headed yogurt slinger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat bleeds Eagle green and enjoys a good parfait

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who doesn't enjoy a good parfait? Just the word parfait it making my mouth water.

    Fuck the eagles. Fuck the Phillies.

    Dorne, are you ever going to disagree with Will's predictions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop flip flopping Pat. You are the second coming of John Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I was for the Phillies before I was against the Phillies." - Pat Lyons

    ReplyDelete